Civil Engineering Department
About Department: Civil engineering is the oldest engineering discipline after military engineering. The demand of civil engineers has increased due to tremendous growth in the infrastructure sector in India and Abroad. The department of civil engineering strives to create outstanding engineers. Advanced teaching techniques and learning aids are provided for undergraduate students. Engineers are employed by a wide range of companies in the United States, from small start up businesses focused on a new invention idea to large-scale companies that work on immense contracts. Engineers from different fields constantly work together to create successful products. When considering the design and manufacture of an aircraft, for example, the workforce behind the development will include aeronautical engineers optimizing airflow paths, analysis engineers evaluating the strength of landing gear developed by design engineers, electronics engineers developing wiring methods and pilot controls, ergonomic engineers designing comfortable seating and computer engineers programming the aircraft operation systems, including everything from the autopilot system to the cabin crew call system.
The vision of civil engineering program is to develop the sense and ability by inculcating the technical knowledge to the students which enable them to build a sustainable environment which is the utmost need of this time for the sake of survival of humanity on this planet.
The mission of the civil engineering program is to tailor students with in-depth technical education in civil engineering fundamentals, applications, and design that prepares them for the practice of civil engineering at the professional level with the confidence and skills necessary to meet the technical and social challenges of the future.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice
- Students shall apply professional skills for successful careers dealing with analysis, design and management of infrastructural projects, both in India and abroad.
- Students shall use civil engineering concepts so as to formulate, analyze and solve civil engineering and allied problems using the principle of mathematics and science.
- Graduates shall deliver a comprehensive and balanced understanding of several branches of civil engineering such as structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, hydraulic and water resources engineering, environmental engineering and interdisciplinary areas.
- Students shall demonstrate high ethical standards, effective oral and written communication skills, and ability to work as part of teams on multidisciplinary projects in diverse professional environments, and should be able to relate engineering issues to the society and nation.
- Students shall acquire academic excellence, leadership and management skills, and engage in life-long learning to be successful in professional and entrepreneural world.
Industry oriented Program
- Pavement analysis & Design: Theoretical formulations for estimation of load stress and thermal stress of bituminous and concrete pavements will be discussed. In these formulations a pavement structure will be idealized as a beam/ plate resting on spring foundation or, as elastic multilayer. The basic principles for the design of bituminous and concrete pavements, while using the pavement analyses results, will be discussed.
- AutoCAD (Computer-aided design): It is the use of computers (or workstations) to aid in the creation, modification, analysis, or optimization of a design. This software is used to increase the productivity of the designer, improve the quality of design, improve communications through documentation, and to create a database for manufacturing.
- STAADPRO: It is one of the popular software that is used for analysing & designing structures like – buildings, towers, bridges, industrial, transportation and utility structures.
- PRIMAVERA: It is an enterprise project portfolio management software. It includes project management, scheduling, risk analysis, opportunity management, resource management, collaboration and control capabilities, and integrates with other enterprise software such as Oracle and SAP’s ERP systems.
- ETABS: ETABS is an engineering software product that caters to multi-story building analysis and design. Modeling tools and templates, code-based load prescriptions, analysis methods and solution techniques, all coordinate with the grid-like geometry unique to this class of structure.